Thursday 8 March 2018

Lymphoedema Awareness Week 2018 Day 5 ~ Lynn

LYMPHOEDEMA AWARENESS WEEK 4TH-10TH MARCH 2018 ~ LYNN

I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago this week, 6th March 2016. I had chemotherapy, a mastectomy then finally radiotherapy.

I knew nothing of lymphoedema until after my last chemotherapy when my watch became tight on my wrist. As I hadn’t had surgery yet, I thought it was just swelling due to the last chemo as they had trouble finding a vein, but when I asked the Breast Care Nurse she said it looks like lymphoedema, so my last chemotherapy caused this.

It took me a while to come to terms with this, a bit of a double edged sword - compared to breast cancer it’s not life threatening but I have it for ever and nothing can be done. I don’t like the sleeve but it’s a necessity. I was given a glove but don’t wear it as it’s too restrictive and my hand swelling has actually gone down quite a lot.

People don’t actually realise how it is a serious thing to live with and the consequences of not managing it properly. As a work colleague said ‘but you're alright now'. Yes, I am, apart from lymphoedema but I’m here and that’s what matters.



No comments: